Issuance of temporary resident permits by Canada to out-of-status victims of family violence

Those who are new to Canada and experience family violence have now the option of applying for a fee-exempt temporary resident permit which will give them a legal immigration status in Canada.

New rules regarding the permits for out-of-status foreign nationals going through family violence took effect on 26th July and gives allowance for the issuance of temporary resident permits to victims & their dependent children for at least six months.

The latest rule is applicable for those who haven’t yet obtained permanent residence & whose status in Canada is dependent on their abusive partner or spouse.

Instructions issued by Ahmed Hussen, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada, in June stated that the new rules aim to protect the vulnerable foreign nationals who are victims of family violence or are impacted by it, by regularizing their status in Canada, when appropriate.

Amongst other cases, the instructions state that an immigration officer might be justified issuing a temporary resident permit where it will provide a duration of reflection for victims of family violence who are out of status for further considering their immigration options or to allow victims facing family violence to escape the abuser’s influence so that they can make an informed decision on a future course of action.

Under the latest rules which were published on the 26th of July, Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) stated that the intention is for victims of family violence to be assessed for a temporary resident permit (TRP) as soon as possible.

The TRP process for victims of family violence isn’t available to foreign nationals outside Canada.

Those who are eligible for the temporary resident permit for family violence might also be eligible for health-care benefits under Interim Federal Health Program of Canada if they aren’t already covered by any private or public health insurance plan.